Following disturbing sudden rise in Coronavirus cases in Ebonyi State, Executive Governor of the state His Excellency Engr Chief David Nweze Umahi FNSE FNATE, has directed immediate disinfecting of key locations in the state including government offices. The Governor also shut down all government offices for one week to facilitate quick disinfection of identified places and offices.
A statement made by Hon. Barr. Orji Uchenna Orji ( Commissioner for Information and State Orientation & Ag Commissioner, Human Capital Development and Monitoring), made available to MediaMasters online also noted that the sudden rise in cases of Covid-19 in Ebonyi state has been as a result of indigenes of the state who recently returned home from other parts of the Federation. Engr Umahi, therefore, made a passionate appeal to citizens of the state to remain at their various locations for now until the situation is brought under control.
The full text of the release
I am directed by the Governor of Ebonyi State,His Excellency Engr Chief David Nweze Umahi FNSE FNATE, to inform the good people of Ebonyi State as follows:
1) The Governor is concerned about the number of Coronavirus cases recorded in the state which has unfortunately risen to 75 out of over 3, 000 samples tested.
2) In view of this develoment, he passionately appeals to all sons and daughters of Ebonyi State who are living outside the shores of the state to avoid the risk of returning to the state, as records have shown that the positive cases hitherto recorded in the state were those who returned from the epicentre states.
3) The Governor further pleads with our people to take seriously the NCDC COVID-19 Protocols, especially all precautionary measures such as hand washing, use of hand sanitizers, use of face masks, social distancing and avoiding of crowded places, moreso as we have entered into another phase of spread of COVID-19 called community transmission.
4) Whereas we have discharged a total of 26 COVID-19 cases and 49 cases still receiving treatment and in stable conditions, the Governor is disturbed about the way and manner some State Executive Council members were infected, although they are also in stable conditions .In order to ensure effective contact tracing, he has directed that all Government offices be shut down from Thursday,4th June 2020 and resume on Wednesday, 10th June 2020.
5) All civil servants shall work from their respective homes within this period but shall leave their phones open to respond to official imperatives.
6) The Governor further directs Dr Richard Nnabo and his team to commence comprehensive decontamination of Government offices including the new and old Government House complex. All Exco members and Government officials especially of the Ministries of Finance and and Budget are advised to undergo COVID-19 test within this seven days period.
7) The Governor further advises that during this period of close down of Government offices, all workers especially from the two Ministries aforementioned should go into self isolation.All site operations shall however remain open, but must be in strict observance of COVID-19- protocols.
7) Meanwhile, the Governor commends all those who have made concerted efforts in our fight against Coronavirus pandemic and warmly congratulates the newly appointed Caretaker Chairmen for their wonderful handling of COVID-19 emergencies.
Thanks and God bless you.
Hon. Barr. Orji Uchenna Orji ( Commissioner for Information and State Orientation & Ag Commissioner, Human Capital Development and Monitoring)